Thursday, January 17, 2013

Girl "Divided" Shirt!

I am a football-loving Iowa girl, so when I got an invitation from a good friend to attend the University of Iowa vs University of Northern Iowa game last fall I was excited! Yet conflicted. I am a UNI Panther graduate and love the school, but I was raised as a Hawkeye fan and am married to an Iowa grad. I needed "fan wear" that was quick, easy, and affordable! A girl divided shirt!

Start with two t-shirts. Mine were old and worn, perfect for this project!
 Cut the sleeves and collars off just inside the seam.
I used the front of one shirt and the back of the other. Then I cut down the middle of the side I wasn't using so I could lay the shirt out flat. I trimmed the shoulder, keeping the seam on the top of front and back, then lined up the seams, pinned, and sewed. Front and back will be facing each other in order to make an inner seam.


 Trim shirt as shown so you are ready to tie the sides together. I did this for novelty, but you could certainly sew the sides if you'd like. (I was lucky that my two teams share the color gold!) Cut the side panels so you have a few inches to tie and it will still fit you. I made mine a little big, just in case. Cut strips in each side and tie together in knots.


 To finish, I used scraps to cover the shoulder seams and gather it together.

 And here's the finished product for a girl divided! Total cost: $0!!!
Final tip: I cut the bottom seam at a slant to get the right length and add interest! I also cut a "V" shape in the front.

Now, go celebrate your favorite rivalry!

Happy Creating!
Carrie

1 comment:

glorygirl said...

How very creative! Looooove this idea! Perhaps this is the solution to get my kids to quit giving me mean looks when I root for a different team than they do...last year's Super Bowl comes to mind ;) LOL!